7.23.2009

Comicon 2009

So this has been somewhat of a whirlwind of a year. The kind that picks you up and moves you around a whole lot but you still end up set down no better or worse than you started... The theme however as Sean says is "tangible progress". We'll see...

In other news, I am in San Diego at Comicon! Holy shit! Anyways, it's been pretty cool so far. The novelty isn't quite there as this is the second one I've been to but it's still only the second and so, still pretty overwhelming. So far my time has been spent doing secret things but tonight, Richard and I are going to head out to a Drink and Draw at a bar downtown so that should be cool. I will be doing the drinking and wondering why I am not a more prolific writer that can take advantage of this opportunity to meet and drink with (maybe) great artists.

The only things of note that I have done are wait in line, wait in line and then there was some more waiting in line. I also took some pictures of some of the people I have seen but there's a lot. I hope to have a lot more pics by the end but as I post them I will let you know. After that, I waited in line some more. Oh yeah, Warren Ellis is gonna be here! I need to remember to stop by one of the discount trade retailers for a book to get him to sign and any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm wishing I had brought my copy of Ocean now that I think about it. But whatever, I may see if I can't find a copy of New Universal in hard cover or something.

Anyways, I did go to one panel so far. It was an Assassin's Creed 2 panel so I got to pretend I was at E3 cause they gave the exact same demo. Am I allowed to talk about video game panels at a Comicon? I guess I better remember to add Video Games to the labels for this post. It looks awesome but the panel really bored us with their talk of convergence or, as it is better known to some, CROSS PROMOTIONAL MARKETING OF AN IP THROUGH A COLLECTIVE OF MEDIUMS AS OPPOSED TO ONE. Basically, Ubisoft paid to make some assassin's creed live action movies along with the studio that did all the cg work for 300 and Sin City and they're excited that they didn't just throw money around to farm it out like some big corporation might have done. Wait...

In other news, the booths are all lively and more or less the same. Marvel is all about the Iron Man 2, DC is all about the Blackest Night but not as much as they should be since it's the only cool thing they've got going on, boosh! Also, they did give lots of room to their Vertigo and Wildstorm friends so that was nice. I hope I get to see Becky Cloonan somewhere... She doesn't know it yet (except in dreams and premonitions that come to her in the night) but she and I are getting married. I should carry around a bag so I can capture her Borat style as soon as I see her. I think they're giving away bags at the Warner Bros booth that are just about right actually...

No comments:

Post a Comment